Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
My husband grew up in southern Ohio where Cinc'y Chili reigns supreme! I first became acquainted with it some 16 years ago on on honeymoon. YUM. The rest is history. Whenever we are visiting family and friends we stop for a bowl & dog, whether we are hungry or not. Authentic Cinc'y dogs are 100% pork although here in Chicago we have been known to use 100% beef, they both work but no other substitutes are quite the same. For the full on experience, all the other ingredients are NOT optional! :D We make our own Cinc'y chili at home using the Empress - Cincinnati Chili. Cook time does not include making the chili ahead of time (4 hours minimum). Cook & prep is enough time to cook & assemble the dogs. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cincinnati chili, Empress - Cincinnati Chili
- 12 all pork hot dogs, all beef can be used, simmered NOT grilled
- 12 soft hotdog plain buns, do not get crazy here and use poppy seed buns, it's simply not acceptable
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 2 cups yellow onions, fine shop
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard, liberally squirt it on the bun, no substitutes
- 1Make Empress - Cincinnati Chili, this will take several hours to reduce down to the proper consistency.
- 2Dice the onions and grate the finely grate cheddar cheese. TIP: place the cheese in the freezer for 15 minutes before grating and it will be easier to work with.
- 3Gently simmer the hotdogs until warmed through and hot, do not boil them to death! They just have to be heated through.
- 4Open up your hotdog bun, squirt with yellow mustard, add the hotdog, top with Chili, onions & cheese!
- 5Grab a bunch of napkins cuz this gets messy! Enjoy!
- 6You will have plenty of Chili leftover to enjoy over spaghetti noodles another day or serve both!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cincinnati Chili Dogs
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.9
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 43.7 mg
- Sodium 896.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 14.3 g