From Cook's Country episode 111, "Midwestern Favorites." Use canned tomato sauce, not jarred spaghetti sauce.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- Saute onion in oil until soft and edges are beginning to brown. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, salt, pepper and allspice. Stir for about a minute until spices are fragrant.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer, being sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add meat to sauce. Use a potato masher to break meat up into small pieces. Simmer just 15 minutes.
- Serve chili over spaghetti. For "chili five ways," top with diced raw onion, rinsed and drained cannellini beans or kidney beans and shredded sharp cheddar.