Recipe by Nana Lee
In Cincinnati the true enthusians have their Chili 1 to 5 ways: 1. Plain 2."Two Way" - Spaghetti & Chili 3."Three Way" - Chili, Spaghetti, and Cheddar Cheese 4."Four Way" - Chili, Spaghetti, Cheddar Cheese, and Onions 5."Five Way" - Chili, Spaghetti, Cheddar Cheese, Onions and Kidney Beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 quart cold water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 large onions (diced)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 5 bay leaves (whole, best if put in cheesecloth "bag")
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy guage pot, heat oil, add beef until brown, add onions and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add tomato paste and all other ingredients and let simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Adjust with salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.