I love this, if you haven't tried it you need to. In Cincinnati the true enthusiasts have their Chili 1 to 5 ways: 1. Plain 2."Two Way" - Spaghetti & Chili 3."Three Way" - Chili, Spaghetti, and Cheddar Cheese 4."Four Way" - Chili, Spaghetti, Cheddar Cheese, and Onions 5."Five Way" - Chili, Spaghetti, Cheddar Cheese, Onions and Kidney Beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef, Ground
- 1 quart water, cold
- 1 -6 ounce tomato paste
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- salt & pepper
- In a heavy gauge pot - heat oil, add beef until brown, add onions and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add tomato paste and all other ingredients and let simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Adjust with salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove Bay Leaves before serving.