Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An Ohio classic, you can have your chili in more than one way.
Make and share this Cincinnati Chili 3, 4, or 5 Way recipe from Food.com.
For the Chili
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (more or less)
For the Rest
- 16 ounces thin spaghetti or 16 ounces spaghettini, cooked al dente
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- oyster crackers (optional)
- hot pepper sauce (Frank's or Crystal preferred) (optional)
- In a large pan brown ground beef along with onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic, breaking up meat as it cooks.
- Drain any accumulated fat.
- Add rest of ingredients to pan, mixing well.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust consistency with water as needed.
- Serve your chili as follows (items for the 3,4, and 5 way listed in ingredients- others may require items not listed).
- 3-Way: chili, spaghetti, and cheese.
- 4-Way: a 3-Way plus onions or beans.
- 5-Way: spaghetti, chili, onions, beans and cheese.
- Chili spaghetti: spaghetti with chili.
- Cheese coney: hot dog, bun, mustard, chili, and cheese.
- Chili cheese sandwich: a coney minus the hot dog.
- Cincinnati burrito: chili beans wrapped in a tortilla, topped with chili, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, and black olives.
- Cincinnati potato: baked jacket potato topped with chili, diced onions, beans and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Chili-cheese fries: french fries topped with chili and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Low-carb Coney: 3 small hot dogs (about 1 1/2 regular) in a bowl covered with chili and cheese.
- Serve oyster crackers and hot sauce on the side (crackers doused with sauce) or as a topping, if desired.
Great recipe to add to our rotation. Served it with spaghetti. Even my toddlers liked this one. Thanks for sharing!
very hot/sweet chili that is perfect for everyone since you add what you like. i did the full deal, dh had his beanless, dd had hers over a hot dog. this is the perfect recipe for a family with different tastes, like mine. the chile is much darker in color due to the spices and cocoa, which add so much to the complex flavor. outstanding!