Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful chili that is a personal favorite of mine! I usually get this from "Skyline Chili" in KY, or from "GoldStar Chili" in OH...This is excellent used for chili dogs (with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese on top) or as a 3-Way (which is poured OVER a mound of spaghetti and then topped with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese.) Either way, YUM!!! One of my very favorites, and my kids love it too...HINT: The cinnamon makes all the difference!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 4 cups tomato juice (I use Campbell's)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 16 ounces hot cooked, drained and slightly buttered spaghetti
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the beef, onions and garlic in a large (6 qt.) stockpot over medium-high heat, until the beef is well-browned, stirring frequently to break up the meat. Drain any fat.
- Add the chili powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato juice and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over spaghetti and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
We'd never had chili with spaghetti before. I made this as directed except I added a little extra garlic. Pretty good. DH didn't think cheese went with sweet chili. Next time I may try it with cocoa powder, allspice, and a little more chili powder as another reviewer suggested.
Not bad. Seasonings were nice and did a great job for the ground beef I used.
I say your recipe is 4 way. Chili, beans, spaghetti, and cheese. I like it 5 way with raw chopped yellow onion on top of everything else. My recipe is very close to yours, but with cocoa powder, allspice, more chili powder and garlic. Absolutely delicious and very different! I haven't made it in years but now I want to make it again.