Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a spicy, roux based, shrimp dish and is great served over rice or pasta.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 -2 finely chopped jalapeno
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice or 1 cup broth, made from the shrimp shells
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly, to make a golden brown roux.
- Add onions, celery, jalapeno and garlic.
- Cook 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in clam juice (or shrimp broth).
- Add cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Cook 1 more minute.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Cover skillet and cook 3 minutes, or until shrimp is pink and no longer translucent.
- Remove from heat, add lime juice and season to taste. (Tabasco is our preferred seasoning)
- Serve immediately with cooked rice or angel hair pasta.
I can't believe no one has tried this yet..We had this on New Years Day. I know, not very traditional but I'm glad we did. This was delicious! I will save this recipe for Summer meals though because it is so light and refreshing. I used the shrimp broth instead of the clam juice. I forgot to add the lime juice at the end of cooking, so we just squeezed it on our individual servings. Served it over rice.This is a good one to include in a Mexican themed meal. But it actually only served 2..We went back for seconds!
delicious recipe, i used gluten free flour for the roux and served with homemade gluten free bread, quinoa and green salad
Yummm, over white rice, and looks pretty too! Added 1/2 a red pepper. Don't be afraid to add water to get the sauce the consistancy that you want.