Recipe by ericshepherd
Goes with Filet Mignon with Avocado and Sea Salt; I made it with black rice (Forbidden Rice) and it was a great subsitution. The taste of the black rice, slightly nutty, goes very well with the flavors. I also substituted jalepeno for the serrano, as the serrano chiles were not available.
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken stock (recommend Pacific Organic)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup aromatic white rice (Texmati)
- 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, minced
- 2 serrano chilies, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a one-quart saucepan over high heat. Combine chicken stock, salt and rice. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir well. Cover the pan and reduce heat to very low. Simmer until all the water is absorbed, 15-18 minutes. (Warning - black rice takes MUCH longer. Don't put the steaks in until the rice is pretty much done if you're using black rice).
- Combine the butter, onion, chile, and cilantro in a small bowl. Stir this mixture into the hot rice until butter melts. Cover the pan and let it stand for five minutes. Serve.