Recipe by Arnessa
If you have an appetite for tangy food, you'll love this! This low fat dish is perfect for a summer snack or appetizer. The acid in the lime juice cooks the delicate seafood meat, resulting in very tender meat. The cilantro gives the dish a freshness that is perfect on that warm summer day.
- 1 lb fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb fresh or frozen uncooked squid
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste
- 10 limes, juice of, to 12
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut shrimp and squid into small bite size pieces.
- Place meat in a large bowl and pour in the lime juice (meat should be completely covered with the lime juice).
- Cover and let soak in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until the meat is tender and white (The whiteness of the meat will tell you that it has cooked in the acid).
- Add cilantro and tomatoes and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in a sealed container and chill.
- Serve cold alone immediately or let soak for more flavor.
- The recipe keeps refrigerated in sealed container for 3-4 days.
- Note: If you are squeamish about eating seafood cooked in mere acid (like my mom is), you may use half-cooked, blanched seafood in this recipe instead of uncooked seafood (The result will not be as tender a meat, but I have tried both, and the results are comparable).