Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
If you have an appetite for tangy food, you'll love this! This low fat dish is perfect for a summer snack or appetizer. The acid in the lime juice cooks the delicate seafood meat, resulting in very tender meat. The cilantro gives the dish a freshness that is perfect on that warm summer day.
- 1 lb fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb fresh or frozen uncooked squid
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste
- 10 limes, juice of, to 12
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut shrimp and squid into small bite size pieces.
- Place meat in a large bowl and pour in the lime juice (meat should be completely covered with the lime juice).
- Cover and let soak in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or until the meat is tender and white (The whiteness of the meat will tell you that it has cooked in the acid).
- Add cilantro and tomatoes and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in a sealed container and chill.
- Serve cold alone immediately or let soak for more flavor.
- The recipe keeps refrigerated in sealed container for 3-4 days.
- Note: If you are squeamish about eating seafood cooked in mere acid (like my mom is), you may use half-cooked, blanched seafood in this recipe instead of uncooked seafood (The result will not be as tender a meat, but I have tried both, and the results are comparable).
This is a very fresh tasting ceviche because of all the fresh cilantro! This can be enjoyed by most people because there is no heat, unless you call citrus heat! Very nice!
This is truly authentic and wonderful.