Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I learned to make empanadas over 25 years ago from a Chilean friend. It's the empanada recipe that has beef, onions, garlic, hard-boiled eggs, raisins, etc. While I could find similar recipes for the empanadas on RecipeZaar, I could not find one for the sauce that you pour inside the empanada after baking it, and before eating it. And well...............that's just a shame! So I thought I'd post the one I was taught to make. After making this batch, I pour smaller servings into individual little bowls so each person can spoon a little sauce into their empanada before every bite. Please feel free to tweek according to taste. Also, we think this sauce tastes better the next day after making it. Enjoy!
- Chop cilantro and green onions.
- Mince garlic.
- Put chopped cilantro, green onions and minced garlic in a bowl.
- Add oil and lemon juice.
- Pour hot water over all to cover. (like the consistency of thick soup).
- Add hot sauce to taste.
- Add more lemon juice to taste if needed.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes to soften vegetables.