Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
'Top Shelf' according to my son. I originally found this on RecipeCottage.com, but I guess that site is no longer available. So I wanted to post it on Zaar for safe keeping. I usually omit the carrot unless I just have some on hand. I don't think it adds that much to the recipe, other than color. While the recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth, I usually just use one can and then add enough water to make 2 1/2 cups. We sometimes squirt a little lime juice on the rice as well ... really adds to the flavor.
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, grated
- salt (optional)
- In a blender, whirl cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and 1 cup broth until smooth.
- In a 3-4 quart pan over medium heat, stir oil, rice, onion power and cumin until rice is a pale golden color, about 5 - 8 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro mixture, remaining broth, and carrot.
- Cover, bring to a boil over high head then reduce and simmer until iquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- If desired, season to taste with salt.
Delicious rice! It went great with a simple split pea dal. I halved the recipe; all the amounts of everything are perfect, and it's so simple. I really like the cilantro and other flavors that combine here. Thanks for posting!