Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
This yummy rice is a great way to sneak some veggies into your loved ones who would otherwise pass on them. Wonderful change from the usual red Spanish rice usually served with Tex Mex or Mexican foods. Similar to the rice served in one of my fave Mexican Restaurants in Houston, Guadalajara. I liked it so much I HAD to try to duplicate it when we moved away. This is as close as I can get. Hope you like it!
Top Review by Sharon123
This was a very nice side dish for a fish dinner. I liked all the veggies. I didn't have whole kernel corn, but did have a little leftover creamed corn, so used that. Thanks for a yummy rice dish!
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup poblano chile, diced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini (optional) or 1⁄2 cup yellow squash, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté rice in frying pan over med high heat for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add veggies and continue to sauté until rice begins to brown and veggies soften, stirring very often. 3-5 minutes or so.
- Add bouillon and vinegar (if using) to water and stir to dissolve. (The vinegar keeps the grains separated- you can use this tip ANYTIME you cook rice.).
- Pour water into pan with rice and veggies and allow to come to a boil.
- Toss in cilantro, stir and cover tightly.
- Lower heat to simmer and keep covered for 15 minutes exactly. DO NOT lift lid during the 15 minutes- the steam is needed to properly cook the rice.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork.