Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a copycat recipe of a salad dressing served at the El Torito Mexican Restaurant franchise. I made substitutions and adjustments with some of the ingredients for ease in preparation.
- 1 medium mild anaheim chili, roasted and seeded
- 3 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds ("pepitas") or 3 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup salad oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons grated Cotija cheese or 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry roasted whole cumin seed (optional)
- NOTE: I have also used a combination of vegan mayonnaise, sour cream and/or plain yogurt with this recipe, using up what I have on hand.
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth. (Or use an hand held immersion blender to blend. ).
- For thinner salad dressing, add more water. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- The thicker version of this dressing makes a delicious topping for fish tacos, tostadas; or as a dip for tortilla chips, etc.
- Best if prepared at least an hour in advance.
- Yield is estimated.