Recipe by DeeCooks
Something I had a few times while growing up --at a neighbor's and at Avo's house. Where I grew up, half the neighbors were from the Azores, so it was good, good eating. It's not a recipe that needs exact measurements, but this is about how I do it :) Obviously don't make it if you don't like cilantro, but if you do...mmmmmmmmm :) For a vegetarian version, just use veggie broth. Whichever you use, make sure it's a good quality. The ingredients are so simple it needs to be a good quality broth.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth (more or less depending on how thick you like it.)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- squeezes lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic slowly until tender.
- Add the broth, potatoes.
- Cook til the potatoes are tender about half an hour.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cilantro.
- Use an immersion blender or food processor (or etc -- ) to puree.
- Serve hot or cold, and add the remaining cilantro right before serving.
- Stir in a squeeze of fresh lime right before serving, if desired.