Recipe by Annacia
Loaded with chunks of avocado and mango, this beautiful dish makes an excellent summer meal. But there's no need to limit it to one season because it's delicious year-round! The bright, refreshing flavors taste great hot or cold too, making this an excellent brown-bag lunch recipe. If going veggie simply omit the chicken, you'll get fewer servings without it (just so you know).
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Outstanding in every way! Vibrant colors and flavors (don't leave out the jalapeno), and a filling healthy meal. I made in advance and refrigerated, adding the chilled dressing and sliced mango and avocado before serving. The lime cilantro dressing is an amazing recipe on its own!
- 4 ounces dried whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion (1 large)
- 1 medium mango, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium avocado, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chopped yellow sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper (1 medium)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a blender combine lime juice, cilantro, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Cover and blend about 30 seconds or until well mixed. Set aside.
- Lightly coat the rack of an indoor electric grill with cooking spray. Preheat grill. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place chicken on grill rack. If using a grill with a cover, close lid. Grill until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). (For a covered grill, allow about 6 minutes. For an uncovered grill, allow 12 to 15 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling.) Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl combine pasta, chicken, tomatoes, red onion, mango, avocado, sweet peppers, and jalapeno pepper. Pour dressing over pasta mixture; toss gently to coat. If desired, serve with lime wedges.