Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Refrigerating allows the flavors to meld. Chill time not included.
- 3 (6 -7 ounce) chicken breasts, cooked (see note)
- 1 jalapeno, diced seeds and membranes removed
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced (to taste)
- 1⁄4 red onion, diced fine (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, cut in half seed removed
- Shred or dice cooked chicken. Add the mayonaise, Dijon, cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper; stir to incorporate. Mix in red onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Refrigerate for several hours to let flavors meld. Serve mounded in avocado halves.
- Note: Chicken breasts may be cooked by first drying with a paper towel. Season well with salt and pepper (or Mexican spice mix) then placing in a flat microwavable dish. Cover loosely (I just place the splatter lid over.) Microwave high for about 5-10 minutes, testing at intervals for doneness. Do not over cook.
What a delicious lunch we had today! I really enjoyed this salad -- it is really filling, but light and healthy at the same time. I used pickled jalapenos and I sliced my avocado and served the chicken salad on top so I could have a bite of avocado with every bite. I used the leftovers from my baked chicken last night; however, a rotisserie chicken would be just as good. Will definitely make this dish again!! Made for Spring PAC, April, 2012.