Recipe by Pinay0618
Recipe is from Martha White.
Top Review by mamabear22
This was so good! I only had corn meal (not the mix), so I added 1/2 cup Bisquick to the dumpling mix. Will definitely be making this again, but I think next time I'll leave out the flour, as it made the soup thicker than we normally like. Thanks for sharing!
- 14.79 ml oil
- 340.19 g fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml sliced celery
- 236.59 ml sliced carrot
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 7.39 ml salt
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 29.58 ml oil
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 411.06 g canfire roasted diced tomatoes or 411.06 g canregular diced tomatoes
- 1419.54 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 184.27 g package Martha White yellow cornbread mix
- 9.85 ml grated lime peel
- 29.58 ml milk
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- sour cream, chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in cast iron 5-quart fryer, over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook 2 to 3 minutes, using back of spoon to break into pieces. Add chicken. Cook 2 minutes. Add onion, celery, carrots, poblano pepper and salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir well, scraping bits off bottom of pan. Cover. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- STIR together cornbread mix, lime peel, milk, sour cream and 1/2 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Mixture will be thick. Set aside 10 minutes to ensure liquid is absorbed into cornmeal. Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and firm.
- TO SERVE, spoon a couple dumplings into each bowl and ladle soup around dumplings. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and/or a squeeze of lime juice.