Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious, one-pot meal that is just the ticket on cold, cloudy days. The flavors bring the sunny southwest to mind. I usually add extra spices to things, but this was perfect as is. I loved it, but so did my 3-year-old! From Chatelaine, November 2010.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 6 inches tortillas, cut into bite-sized strips
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, excess fat trimmed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 lime, for wedges
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, coarsly chopped
- Heat a very large, wide pot over medium. Add 2 tsp oil (or just spray). Add tortilla strips and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted, 2-3 minutes. Remove to paper towel.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pot. Add leek and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 1 minute. Add peppers and celery. Cook until vegetables begin to caramelize, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in 3 cups water and the spices. Increase heat and bring to boiling. Add bouillon cube, stirring until dissolved. Add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Remove chicken to cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken. Then stir into soup along with corn. Cook until corn is hot, about 2 minutes. Stir in juice from half a lime, along with cilantro. Serve soup with lime wedges and garnish with tortilla strips.