Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very nice combination of flavors. I usually don't like using canned beans, but this is an exception.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic, divided
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast, cut into 3x1/2-inch pcs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed, drained
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (not cooking wine)
- Cook rice according to package directions, keep warm.
- Pour lime juice over chicken pieces and cilantro, allow to marinate 5 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and 3/4 tablespoons garlic in a 12" skillet until sizzling.
- Add marinated chicken, cilantro and wine.
- Remove garlic so that it doesn't burn; discard.
- Cook over medium-high heat; stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Melt remaining butter and garlic in same skillet; add onion.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in beans and rice.
- Add in salt, pepper, oregano, and bay leaf(to be removed after warming the rice and beans).
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through, another 4-5 minutes.
- To serve spoon rice and bean mixture onto serving platter; top with warm chicken.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve with a green salad and ripe tomatoes with a side of green plantain chips (mariquitas).