Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa verde or 1 1⁄2 cups green tomatillo sauce
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft.
- Add chicken breasts and saute until golden brown.
- Add salsa verde, chicken broth and cilantro.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or couscous and sprinkle with the chopped fresh tomatoes and green onion.
Superb! Had company over to try out this recipe and we all loved it. Since it was very hot, we grilled the chicken and added it to the recipe at the salsa verde and chicken broth step (#4). I delayed adding the cilantro until the last minute -- wanted to keep the cilantro a bright green color. Also used 16 oz of salsa since it used up the jar -- which just made more of this wonderful sauce. Next time I'll double the tomatoes and add pine nuts for variety.
I made this for dinner last night. Followed the recipe, but I used green tomatillo sauce. It was good, but seemed to be missing a little "zip." Maybe the salsa would work better or an addition of some diced chilies.
This was so good. It just hit the spot. Used a med. salsa verde, I have some homemade in the freezer so may try that next time. Served with rice and quaesadillas.