Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Rachel Ray’s 365: No Repeats. It is great! Make sure you cook the onions until they are golden. The leftovers reheat nicely. Serve with salad and mashed potatoes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breast halves
- black pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet.
- Brown the chicken on both sides, 3 minutes per side.
- Remove and reserve the meat, covered with foil.
- Add another tablespoon of the olive oil, and then add the onions, garlic, thyme and honey.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 7-8 minutes.
- You want the onions to get really brown and caramelized.
- Add ½ cup of the cider vinegar and the stock.
- Turn up the heat to high and bring up to a simmer.
- Once at a simmer, return the chicken to the pan.
- Cook the chicken in the sauce for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
This recipe is very simple and delicious. The chicken was so tender and leftovers were still amazing. My only regret was not using more onions! This was my first time carmelizing onions, now I'm a pro. Try this you won't be disappointed. Thanks Rachel!
So... I had found an apple cider chicken recipe on AllRecipes and sent it to my Mother... of course she found a better verion here! Mother knows best and told me to try it with the above changes ( substitute some of the cider vinegar w/balzamic glaze, omit the butter and I added some broccoli in at the end) WE LOVED IT!!!! I made enough for leftovers the next day... between the boyfriend and I it was ALL gone by bedtime and he ate a ton of the onions the next day!! He just requested I make it again and I am certainly looking forward to another yummy meal! Thanks Momma (Chef # 562096)!!
Not sure why no one has reviewed this one yet. WE LOVED IT! I added some white mushrooms--had them on hand--and balsamic glaze and cider vinegar. We did not know what to expect. If you like your meal w/TONS of flavor, this is the one for you! Thanks for posting!