Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from an old Better Homes recipe card. I have not tried it but it sounds yummy. It contains no tomatoes. It could probably be made in a crock pot as well. It has apple cider and chopped apple as well. Prep time include browning the meat.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 carrots, quartered
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 apple, chopped
- Combine the flour, salt pepper and thyme.
- toss with meat to coat well.
- In dutch oven brown meat in the oil.
- Stir in apple cider, water and vinegar.
- Cook and stir constantly until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours or till meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, and apple.
- Cook another 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat and veggies are tender.