Recipe by Member #610488
This is like six cider recipes in one.
Top Review by Outta Here
Great basic recipe and variations. I have tried the Rosemary, Citrusy and Cranberry versions. All good, but my favorite is the rosemary! I did not add the brown sugar to any of them, as we do not like it that sweet. I used homemade unfiltered cider. I used the crockpot set on low for 3 hours. Thanks for a nice fall warmer-upper! Made for Fall 2009 My 3 Chefs game.
Basic Spiced Apple Cider
- 1892.0 ml apple cider
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 15 whole cloves
- 10 whole allspice
- 2 (6 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 3 (6 inch) lemon peel strips or 3 (6 inch) orange strips
Apple Cider Nog
- 118.32 ml low-fat vanilla ice cream
- 3 (15 inch) fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 473.18 ml pomegranate juice
- 473.18 ml unsweetened cranberry juice or 118.29 ml cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Main Directions: Place whole cider spices in a zip-top plastic bag and give them a firm whack with a rolling pin, mallet or skillet to crush them. Combine cider and sugar in a large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add crushed spices from plastic bag and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Strain through sieve, discard solids and serve warm. To keep warm for awhile, transfer to a warm Crockpot.
- Citrusy Spiced: Use a vegetable peeler to shave sections of rind from lemon or orange (leaving the white pith behind), and add them to the cider while it simmers.
- Apple Cider Nog: After pouring cider into individual cups, top each with a tablespoon of low-fat vanilla ice cream and serve immediately.
- Rosemary: Stir in the sprigs of fresh rosemary before the cider begins to boil.
- Pomegranate-Vanilla: add vanilla bean before cider begins to boil. Add pomegranate juice at beginning of simmer.
- Cranberry-Apple: add cranberry juice or fresh cranberries at beginning of simmer.
- Remember to strain after adding additional ingredients per main recipe.