10 hrs 16 mins
Wonderful to come home to, mouth watering aroma!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons salad oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (4 lb) beef eye round, trimmed
- 2 medium onions, cut into eights
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, blended with the water
- parsley, chopped
- 1Heat oil in a large nonstick fry pan over medium high heat, add beef and brown well on all sides.
- 2Meanwhile, in a 4 quart or larger slow cooker, combine onions celery, garlic, allspice, ginger and pepper.
- 3In a small bowl, mix cider and molasses.
- 4Place beef on top of onion mixture, pour in cider mixture.
- 5Cover and cook at low setting until beef is tender when pierced, about 9 1/2 to 10 hours.
- 6Lift roast to a warm platter and keep warm.
- 7Skim and discard fat from liquid.
- 8Then blend in cornstarch mixture.
- 9Increase cooker heat to high, cover and cook, stirring several times, until sauce is thickened (about 15 more minutes).
- 10Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 11To serve:.
- 12Remove and discard string from beef; slice beef across the grain.
- 13Spoon some of the sauce over meat, sprinkle with parsley.
- 14Serve remaining sauce in a bowl or pitcher to add to taste.
- 15The onion-y brown sauce is good served over baked or mashed potatoes or broad noodles.
- 16Complete menu with chilled sparkling cider, a platter of sliced cucumbers and bell pepper rings and a crusty loaf.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cider Simmered Beef - Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.1
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 107.0 mg
- Sodium 118.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 41.3 g