Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Kristen Swensson at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/gjhVJi
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 2 bosc pears, peeled, halved, and cored
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (2% fat)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, bring cider, orange juice, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, and star anise to a boil. Place pears face down in the pan. Lower heat and simmer gently until a knife inserted into the pears meets no resistance, about 10-20 minutes. Once pears are tender, kill heat and let cool in pan. Remove to serving plates and set aside. Slice each pear from narrow to wide end in 5 or 6 slices; keep the slices attached at the narrow end. Press gently at one side to fan the pear slices.
- Over medium heat, return remaining poaching liquid to a boil and reduce to a glaze. Pour over pears.
- Mix orange zest with yogurt. Dollop equally on pears. Sprinkle almonds over yogurt. Serve.