Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A different twist to sweet potatoes.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider
- 2 apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Bake potatoes in oven until done (very soft).
- Remove them from oven and cool.
- Bring apple cider and apples to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Reduce heat once boiling begins and simmer for 15-20 minutes until apples become very soft.
- Drain apples and RESERVE liquid.
- Return the liquid to the saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 10-12 more minutes until the mixture thickens to a syrup consistency.
- While juice is cooking, cut potatoes in 1/2 and remove the pulp, discarding the skin.
- Using a large bowl, mash the potatoes and apples with a potato masher until well blended.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and continue mashing.
- Add the reserved juice, slowly, while continuing to mash until your potatoes reach your desired consistency (we like our thick).
- Serve warm.