1 hr 15 mins
Food & Wine. Wine: Alsace Pinot Gris or the 1996 Riesling Spätlese from Germany.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces lean bacon, cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless pork loin roast
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced cider
- 2 firm red apples, such as Winesap, cored and cut crosswise into 1/2 -inch-thick rings
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 lb napa cabbage, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick (4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate.
- 2Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the casserole. Season the pork with salt and pepper and add the roast to the casserole, fat side down.
- 3Cook over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until browned all over, about 8 minutes.
- 4Transfer the casserole to the oven and roast the pork for 15 minutes. Spoon 1/4 cup of the Reduced Cider over the meat and roast for 15 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 135°.
- 5Transfer the roast to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 6Increase the oven temperature to 425°. Dip the apple rings in the juices in the casserole and arrange on a baking sheet.
- 7Roast the rings for about 10 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Turn the apples and roast for 5 minutes longer, or until well glazed.
- 8Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the casserole. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 9Add the cabbage, vinegar, thyme and the remaining 1/4 cup of Reduced Cider, and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the cabbage is wilted and the pan juices have reduced to a glaze, about 4 minutes.
- 10Season with salt and pepper. Slice the pork roast and serve with the apple rings and glazed cabbage.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cider-Glazed Pork Roast With Apples and Cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.9
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 128.1 mg
- Sodium 325.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 41.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: