2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was posted in reply to a "recipe request" on the message boare. The recipe comes from an "old Shaker cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 118.29 ml chilled vegetable shortening (like Crisco)
- 7.39 ml cider vinegar
- 73.94 ml ice water
- 631.69 ml cider (or Apple Jack)
- 1211.09 g granny smith apples, peeled,cored and sliced (approx. 7)
- 340.19 g golden delicious apples, peeled,cored and sliced (approx. 1 1/2)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground mace
- 1.23 ml salt
- 19.71 ml fresh lemon juice
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1Crust: Combine first three ingredients in food processor.
- 2Add butter and shortening and process until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 3Combine vinegar and 2 tablespoons ice water in small bowl.
- 4Add to flour mixture.
- 5With machine running, gradually add enough remaining water 1 tablespoon at a time to form moist clumps.
- 6Gather dough into 2 balls and flatten into disks.
- 7Wrap each disk in plastic wrap.
- 8Chill 30 minutes.
- 9(Dough can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for 1 month.) Let chilled dough soften slightly at room temperature before using.
- 10Filling: Boil cider in a heavy, small saucepan until reduced to 2/3 cup (about 25 minutes).
- 12Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- 13Combine all apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, mace and salt in large bowl.
- 14Add reduced cider and lemon juice and toss well.
- 15Roll out 1 pie crust disk on lightly floured surface to 14-inch-diameter round.
- 16Roll up dough on rolling pin and transfer to 10-inch-diameter pie plate.
- 17Gently press into place.
- 18Trim edges of crust, leaving 1/2-inch overhang.
- 19Spoon apples into crust-lined pan, mounding in center.
- 20Dot with butter.
- 21Roll out second disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch-diameter round.
- 22Roll up on rolling pin and unroll over pie.
- 23Trim edges, leaving 3/4-inch overhang.
- 24Fold overhang of top crust under edge of bottom crust.
- 25Pinch together to seal.
- 26Crimp edges to make decorative border.
- 27Cut several slashes in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- 28Bake pie 25 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- 29Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking until filling bubbles (about 50 minutes longer).
- 30Cover edges of pie with foil if browning too quickly.
- 31Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- 32Serve pie slightly warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cider Double-Crust Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.1
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 41.9 mg
- Sodium 368.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 45.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: