Recipe by Kitchen Witch Steph
Original recipe was found in Family Fun magazine. (surprised by the number of excellent recipes in there!) I've basically halved it here. As stated by FF: "more personality and fresh flavor-with a whisper of apple" The pectin naturally found in apples helps the sauce to gel. Our family liked it very much.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this with raw apple cider & my last bag of frozen cranberries! I used a generous tablespoon of minced orange zest ~ Very nice tasting sauce, although another time I want to try it mixed with a pint or so of homemade chunky applesauce! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my Sassy Sauces! theme in the current My 3 Chefs event]
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries (will be 3 cups) or 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen cranberries (will be 3 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider (not apple juice)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 -2 slice orange zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat and cook at a very low boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Transfer sauce to a serving dish. Cover and refrigerate.
- It will thicken as it chills. You'll need at least 5-6 hours.