Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Red potatoes, carrots, peas, and sautéed chicken stewed in a sweet, tangy apple-cider sauce. Great with a tossed salad and whole grain bread. Stored in an airtight container this will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, except the peas will loose their texture.
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 lbs chicken, rinsed & patted dry (5 serving pieces, preferably 1 drumstick, 1 thigh, 1 wing, and 2 half breasts)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 cups cider
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup rich chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut diagonally into inch long pieces
- 2 red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1⁄2 lb green beans or 1⁄2 lb sugar snap pea, strings removed
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Trim fat off chicken.
- Season flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess back into the bowl; reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons flour.
- In a Dutch oven or large, flameproof casserole dish, melt the butter with the oil over med-high heat; sauté the chicken until golden brown (5-7 minutes).
- Remove to a plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan.
- Add the shallots and sauté until soft and fragrant (1 minute).
- Add the cider and wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits.
- Tie the thyme, cloves, cinnamon, and bay in a cheesecloth bag and add to the wine mixture.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pan along with any juices that have collected on the plate.
- Add the carrots and potatoes; simmer, covered, over low heat until the chicken and vegetables are tender (25-30 minutes).
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil; add the peas or beans and boil just until tender (2 minutes for peas; 8 minutes for beans).
- Drain and rinse well under cold water.
- When the chicken is done, remove it to a serving dish, and cover it to keep it warm.
- Skim as much fat as possible off the top of the liquid in the pan.
- Dissolve reserved flour in 2 1/2 tablespoons stock or water; mix into the stew.
- Boil over high heat until slightly thickened (1-2 minutes).
- Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the stew.
- Add the peas and simmer 1-2 minutes longer to heat through.