Recipe by grandma2969
this is a nice plump cake with a delicate texture and decided cider flavor.. the frosting is a bit like chewy homemade caramels with nuts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, seperated
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cider
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- in a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes.
- in a small bowl, beat the egg yolks throughly, and add to the butter mixture.
- sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cloves, and cinnamon.
- add this to the butter mixture alternately with the cider, beginning and ending with the flour.
- in a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- pour the batter into a greased 9x13" pan and bake for 30 minutes or until cake just shrinks away from the sides of the pan and the top springs back when touched with your finger.
- while the cake is baking, prepare the frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream and butter.
- bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- whisking all the time.
- lover the heat if necessary -- stir in the nuts and vanilla and keep warm.
- as soon as the cake is removed from the oven -- pour the warm caramel over the top --
- let the cake cool in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.