Recipe by ChamoritaMomma
I was watching a show on FoodNetwork called "Cooking for Real". This was a recipe I followed. What a great way to prepare fried chicken, which is one of my most favorite foods.
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 4 1⁄2-5 lbs roasting chickens, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 quarts vegetable shortening, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk together cider and salt until salt dissolves. Add chicken pieces and enough water to completely submerge and cover the chicken. Let soak 1 hour in the refrigerator. Chicken should be completely submerged in brine.
- In a large pot, heat vegetable shortening until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 325 degrees. Line a sheet tray with a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cayenne and black pepper. In a paper bag, shake together flour and cornstarch. Drain chicken from brine and dip in batches first in egg mixture then in flour mixture to coat. Set on wire rack to let coating sit for 10 minutes. In 2 batches, fry chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the piece. Remove from oil to drain on paper towel-lined plate.