Recipe by Sondra Beth
This is based on a recipe from Cook's Country. Do not use chops thinner than 1 inch. Chops and sauce can be refrigerated separately for up to 2 days. To serve, heat sauce and chops together over medium heat until chops are warmed through.
Top Review by lil rose
I just finished making these pork chops and they are so so good. I served with rice with carmelized shallots and a salad. I wasn't going to strain the sauce (lazy) but I did and I am glad..It came out beautiful. My chops were about 3/4 inch but they still came out perfect. This is definitely a do-over recipe! Yummy!
- 6 bone-in blade-cut pork chops, about 1 inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Pat chops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown chops in two batches, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot and cook onion over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir garlic, flour, and 2 tablespoons apple butter and cook until onions are coated and mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in cider and thyme, scraping up any browned bits with wooden spoon, and bring to boil. Add browned chops and any accumulated juices to pot, cover, and transfer to oven.
- Braise until chops are completely tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Transfer chops to serving platter. Strain sauce, then use a shallow spoon to skim off fat. ( Note - a fat separator, if you own one, is a much better method to discard excess fat.).
- Whisk in vinegar, parsley, and remaining apple butter. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, passing sauce at table.
- NOTE - The chops and sauce can be refrigerated separately for up to 2 days. To serve, heat sauce and chops together over medium heat until chops are warmed through.