Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is based on Mark Bittman's "Chicken with cranberries and mushrooms" from his "Best Recipes in the World" cookbook. My husband made this, and it was adapted due to ingredients that we had on hand. You can use chicken breast instead of thighs. Sorry about the lack of a photo, we thought it smelled so good that we devoured it before thinking about the camera!
- 1⁄2 cup mixed berry (dried)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 chicken thighs (I use boneless)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2⁄3 cup onion (diced)
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- summer savory
- 1⁄2 cup hard alcoholic cider
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- soak berries in water until plump, simmer over low heat until thickened to sauce consistency. remove from heat and stir in honey. set aside.
- heat oil and butter in deep skillet (with lid). add chicken and brown thoroughly, salt and pepper while cooking.
- stir in garlic, onion, savory, muchrooms, stock and cider. turn heat to low, simmer covered until chicken is cooked (20-30 minutes).
- remove chicken from pan, keep warm. increase heat to thicken onion mixture in pan.
- serve chicken with onion and berry sauces.
A very unique & tasty recipe! I used about 2 sprigs of fresh savory, but I think I'll add more next time. The unique combination of savory onion, garlic & mushroom sauce with the sweet berry sauce was very nice. I also used boneless skinless chicken thighs and baby bello mushrooms. Oh, and I didn't have a hard cider on hand so I used hard lemonade. I think it was fine, but next time I'll plan ahead for the cider. :) Thanks for sharing your recipe, Queen Dana! Made & enjoyed for ZWT-6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes!