1/1 Photo of Cider Braised Chicken over Smoked Cheddar Grits
2007 National Chicken Cooking Contest Finalist Candace McMenamin, Lexington, SC
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups unsweetened apple cider
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- fresh thyme sprig
- 1In large skillet over medium high heat, place 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 2Add chicken and cook about 3 minutes per side, until browned. Remove to 9x12-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- 3In small bowl, whisk together apple cider, thyme, garlic salt and honey; pour over chicken.
- 4Place in 350°F oven and bake about 45 minutes or until fork tender. In large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat.
- 5Add onions and saute about 3 minutes or until transparent.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and continue cooking about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 7In medium saucepan, place water and bring to rapid boil.
- 8Stir in grits, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Cook about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 9Reduce heat to low; stir in butter and cheese and continue stirring until melted. Cover and remove from heat.
- 10To serve, place equal amounts of grits in 4 shallow bowls. Top with onion mixture and 2 chicken thighs. Garnish with thyme sprigs. Makes 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cider Braised Chicken over Smoked Cheddar Grits
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 744.8
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 174.7 mg
- Sodium 386.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 39.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsweetened apple cider