Recipe by MommyMakes
Get ready for the holidays!! I know a company that sells these for $7 each but I like to include them in holiday baskets. I like to make these for the kids to have cider during the fall and winter holidays as a tradition in our very new household. They are very cute and great as a gift. Tie with a festive ribbon and attached to a bottle of apple juice along with the directions. Also these can be made inexpensively if you purchase your spices from a store selling them in bulk by weight.
- 6 oranges
- 2 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 12 (1 1/2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 12 small whole whole nutmegs
- 24 large whole allspice
- 96 whole cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Adult Portion:.
- Slices oranges in half and scoop out pulp without breaking the orange rind. Reserve pulp for another use or discard.
- Place orange halves cut side up (like a bowl) on a wire rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 250F for 2 hours until dry and hard. Let Cool.
- Kid Portion:.
- Pack brown sugar firmly into each orange half, mounding slightly.
- Arrange spices in the brown sugar to resemble beetles: use a cinnamon stick as the body, a nutmeg as the head, 2 allspice for the eyes (on each side of the head), and 6-8 cloves for the legs/feet.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator (I keep mine sealed in plastic and in the cupboard).
- Directions for use:.
- Unwrap the beetle and drop into 1 1/2 quarts apple juice or cider. Simmer 30 minutes. Strain whole spices and orange rind from cider to serve. May add 1/2 cup of Brandy, and heat well. Store leftover cider in the refrigerator.