Recipe by Laura O.
This is a downsized recipe for when you have a taste for beef stew but don't want to eat it for days. This stew is also a little different because it has a little sweetness and a little tang to it.
Top Review by PaulaG
Outstanding! The stew is very rich and perfect on a cold winter day. The onions were browned along with the meat and everything was cooked in a slow cooker for several hours. This made 3 nice servings along with a green salad and recipe #210708. Made for *Comfort Cafe*
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add beef and toss to coat.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, brown beef in oil.
- Add cider, water, vinegar, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add carrots, potato, and onion.
- Return to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.