Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A nice fall stew, easy to make. Freezes well, too. It's my take on an old "My Great Recipes" recipe.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 4 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in wedges
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 apple, peeled and sliced
- Mix flour with a little salt and pepper in a ziploc bag. Add the stew meat and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large stewpot or Dutch oven, Brown stew meat, and drain off the fat.
- Stir in the apple cider, lemon juice, bay leaf, and spices.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, onions, and apple.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes longer.