5 hrs 45 mins
From Bon Appetit. I personally thought that the gravy was a little too sweet, but my guests really liked it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup calvados (apple brandy) or 1/4 cup Applejack (apple brandy)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, 2 cut into quarters, 8 cut into 8 slices each
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 large sage leaves
- 1 (16 lb) whole turkey
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup water
- 1For turkey:
- 2Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 325°F
- 3Combine first 5 ingredients in small saucepan.
- 4Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; bring liquid to boil.
- 5Set liquid aside.
- 6Mix 2 quartered apples, onion, thyme, sage leaves and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in large bowl.
- 7Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry.
- 8Sprinkle main cavity with salt and pepper.
- 9Spoon apple mixture into main cavity.
- 10Tuck wing tips under turkey; tie legs together loosely.
- 11Place turkey in large roasting pan.
- 12Rub turkey breast and legs with butter.
- 13Pour half of basting liquid over turkey.
- 14Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 15Roast turkey 30 minutes.
- 16Pour remaining basting liquid over turkey.
- 17Roast 2 hours, basting frequently with pan juices and adding 1 cup (or more) water to pan if juices have evaporated.
- 18Add all apple slices to pan juices around turkey.
- 19Cover turkey loosely with foil to keep from browning too quickly.
- 20Continue to roast until apples are tender, turkey is deep brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, basting frequently with pan juices, about 1 hour 30 minutes longer.
- 21Transfer turkey to platter.
- 22Tent loosely with foil; let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature of turkey will increase 5 to 10 degrees).
- 23For gravy:
- 24Using slotted spoon, transfer apples from pan juices to bowl.
- 25Pour pan juices into 4-cup measuring cup.
- 26Spoon off fat and discard.
- 27Add enough chicken broth to pan juices to measure 4 cups.
- 28Transfer broth mixture to large saucepan; simmer 5 minutes.
- 29Add reserved apples; simmer 2 minutes.
- 30Mix apple cider and cornstarch in small bowl.
- 31Whisk into gravy.
- 32Boil until gravy thickens, about 2 minutes.
- 33Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 34Discard mixture from turkey cavity.
- 35Serve turkey with gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cider-Basted Turkey With Roasted Apple Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (848 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 988.2
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 373.4 mg
- Sodium 935.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 110.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: