4 hrs 30 mins
Nurse Amanda's Note:
Another great recipe from my mother-in-law! Makes a beautiful golden-brown turkey with the best gravy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 15 -16 lbs turkey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- butter, for rubbing on turkey
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Combine basting ingredients (1st 5 ingredients) in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Then set it aside.
- 3Remove giblets and neck from inside turkey.
- 4Place apples, onion thyme, and sage into turkey.
- 5Rub breasts and legs with butter and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- 6Pour 1/2 of the basting liquid over turkey.
- 7Place in oven to roast for 30 minutes.
- 8Pour remaining liquid over turkey and roast 2 more hours, basting frequently.
- 9Add water if needed.
- 10Add apple slices to pan juices around turkey.
- 11Cover turkey and roast another 1 1/2 hours.
- 12For gravy: Transfer apples from pan to a bowl.
- 13Spoon off fat from pan juices.
- 14Add enough chicken broth to measure 4 cups.
- 15Add broth and apples to saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- 16Mix apple cider and corn starch in a small bowl.
- 17Whisk corn starch mixture into gravy.
- 18Season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cider-Basted Turkey and Apple Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 755.2
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 308.7 mg
- Sodium 576.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 94.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs
fresh sage leaves