Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Another great recipe from my mother-in-law! Makes a beautiful golden-brown turkey with the best gravy!
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 15 -16 lbs turkey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- butter, for rubbing on turkey
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine basting ingredients (1st 5 ingredients) in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Then set it aside.
- Remove giblets and neck from inside turkey.
- Place apples, onion thyme, and sage into turkey.
- Rub breasts and legs with butter and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Pour 1/2 of the basting liquid over turkey.
- Place in oven to roast for 30 minutes.
- Pour remaining liquid over turkey and roast 2 more hours, basting frequently.
- Add water if needed.
- Add apple slices to pan juices around turkey.
- Cover turkey and roast another 1 1/2 hours.
- For gravy: Transfer apples from pan to a bowl.
- Spoon off fat from pan juices.
- Add enough chicken broth to measure 4 cups.
- Add broth and apples to saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Mix apple cider and corn starch in a small bowl.
- Whisk corn starch mixture into gravy.
- Season with salt and pepper.