Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
A tasty once every 17 year treat. Great for those summer BBQ's when they are everywhere. 1.2 billion per acre I'm sure they are easy to find.
- 30 -40 cicadas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- oil (for frying)
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Find the Adult Cicada they are the ones with red eyes and clear colored wings.You can either find them by following their beautiful screeching sound or just locate any tree.
- Leave them as is no need to tear off wings or legs they add to the crispyness.
- Mix together flour and seasonings.
- Mix together milk and egg.
- First dip cicada into egg then into flour mixture. Then drop into oil. Don't worry they wont try to fly away they are too dumb for that.
- Fry them for no longer the 2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels. Then serve immediately.
- I like a little hot pepper on mine but you can also use ketchup for the kids.
Thanks for a tasty crunchy treat! I was surprised to see egg listed as one of the ingredients but after I got beyond my initial squeamishness and made the recipe as stated was pleasantly gratified with another recipe to file under favorites! I did however use about 1/2 teaspoon salt as I'm trying to watch my sodium intake. Thanks again.