- 5 eggs
- 500 g whole wheat flour
- 400 g white sugar (or half white and half dark brown)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 300 ml vegetable oil
- 200 ml water (or any infusion you like, lukewarm)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift togather flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
- With an electric mixer beat eggs with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add oil to eggs and gradually beat in flour and lemon peel.
- At last add water gradually until consistency is right.
- You may need more or less water depending on type of flour and ambient conditions.
- Avarage measure is 200ml.
- Beat until batter is smooth.
- Grease and flour a 9-10 inches tube pan (essential for this water-based cake to cook perfectly inside).
- Pour batter in the prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 50 min.
- Check the cake with a long cake tester to reach the inside.
- This cake freezes well.
- You may add chocolate chips or grated nuts, coconut, small pieces of fruits, raisins, etc.