Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Light, great tasting waffles, that work well at breakfast or brunch
- 6 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, separated
- 6 ounces buttermilk
- 2 ounces milk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar (for meringue)
- Plug in waffle iron to heat.
- Prepare dry ingredients: Put dry ingredients except sugar in a 2-qt. mixing bowl, mix well. Set aside.
- Separate the egg. Put the egg white into a small mixing bowl. Put the yolk in a 2-pt measuring cup.
- Prepare wet ingredients: Pour buttermilk into the measuring cup. Add milk and oil. Stir to break yolk and until ingredients are well mixed. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, whip the egg white until frothy. Slowly add sugar a little bit at a time. Keep whipping until you get a stiff mixture, which is meringue.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients, and slowly stir. Do not beat. Just mix until all dry ingredients are wet. Lumps are okay.
- Fold meringue into mixture. Mix until evenly distributed, but do not beat or whip.
- Using a standard waffle iron, pour batter onto hot iron. When signaled that it is done, remove waffle and place on plate in a warm oven. Make next waffle. You will get three waffles from this amount of ingredients.
- Mangi e goda.