weekend cooker's Note:
Moist yet crusty ciabatta and nutty Gruyere cheese sets this apart from regular French Toast. Got this recipe from one of the many apple orchards in my area.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml apple cider
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 9.85 ml butter
- 29.58 ml finely chopped shallots
- 473.18 ml sliced mcintosh apples
- 59.14 ml maple syrup
- 0-0 ciabatta
- 85.04 g gruyere cheese, cut into thin slices
- 118.29 ml nonfat milk
- 78.07 ml low-fat buttermilk
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 19.71 ml butter, divided
- 44.37 ml chopped pecans, toasted
- 1Combine the cider and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 2Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add shallots to pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- 4Add the cider mixture, cider, and syrup to pan, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- 5Reduce heat to low, and cook for 3 minutes, or until apples begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- 6Set aside and keep warm.
- 7Cut a horizonal slit through bottom crust of each bread slice, to form a pocket, and stuff 1/2 ounce of cheese evenly into each pocket.
- 8Combine fat-free milk, buttermilk, and the next 5 ingredients through and including egg white in a shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk.
- 9Working with 1 stuffed bread slice at a timer, place bread slice into milk mixture, turning gently to coat both sides.
- 10Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat .
- 11Melt 2 teaspoons butter in pan.
- 12Add 3 coated bread slices to pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- 13Repeat procedure for remaining 2 teaspoons butter, and 3 coated bread slices.
- 14Place 1 french toast slice onto each of 6 plates, and top with 3 tablespoons sauce, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pecans.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ciabatta French Toast With Warm Apple Maple Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.8
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 57.6 mg
- Sodium 225.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: