1/1 Photo of Ciabatta (Crusty Slipper Bread)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will need a baking stone or 2 jelly roll pans that fit side by side in the oven, plus a cookie sheet with no sides or a piece of stiff cardboard to slide the loaves into the oven.
- 2In the bowl of an electric mixer, stir together the flour and salt.
- 3In another bowl, whisk the yeast into the water; then stir the yeast mixture into the flour.
- 4Fit the mixer with the paddle attachment and mix the dough for 1 minute on lowest speed.
- 5Stop the mixer and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- 6Beat the dough again on medium speed, until smooth and elastic, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 7Oil a 3-quart bowl and scrape the dough into it; turn the dough over so that the top is also oiled.
- 8Press plastic wrap against the surface of the dough and let the dough rise at room temperature until it is doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 9About 30 minutes before you are ready to bake the dough, place the baking stone on the middle rack of the oven and preheat to 500°; if you are using pans instead of the stone, invert the two pans side by side on the middle rack of the oven and preheat at the same temperature.
- 10To form the loaves, scrape the dough onto a floured work surface, deflating it as little as possible; gently pat the dough into an 8-inch square; cut in half to make 2 rectangles.
- 11Sprinkle the cookie sheet or cardboard with cornmeal and arrange one of the pieces of dough at the far end, stretching the dough very slightly as you place it on the pan.
- 12Open the oven and slide the loaf onto the stone or one of the inverted jelly roll pans, quickly jerking away the cookie sheet or cardboard.
- 13Repeat with the remaining piece of dough.
- 14Bake until they are very dark golden and reach an internal temperature of about 200 degrees, about 25 minutes.
- 15Cool the breads directly on a rack.
- 16To serve: cut the loaf into thick vertical slices to serve it with a meal; to use the loaves for sandwiches, split them horizontally.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ciabatta (Crusty Slipper Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (1056 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1036.7
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2340.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 216.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 30.6 g