Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Called Italian slipper bread because of its rustic shape that resembles a slipper. This chewy, homely loaf is great with a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and sliced dry sausage. Since the dough is so wet, the bread machine is the perfect place to make it. You can buy ready made dough enhancer or make your own...this improves rise, texture, crumb and crust. I have not made this recipe, but posted it for a request. Recipe was found on Breadmaker's forum website. Bake time is an estimation, as no time was given.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast (not quick rising)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F, or more)
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lora brody's sourdough bread enhancer (or homemade dough enhancer see below) (optional)
- olive oil
Dough Enhancer (homemade)
- 1 cup lecithin granules
- 1 tablespoon vitamin C powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger, ground
- Place first 5 ingredients in bread machine in order listed.
- Program machine for dough or manual cycle and press start.
- Check dough after first few minutes of first knead cycle and add more water if necessary to form very wet batter-like dough that barely forms ball and does not clean sides of pan.
- Allow dough to go through one knead cycle and one rise cycle only.
- Line very large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour and scrape dough onto lightly floured work surface.
- Using dough scraper, divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Using floured hands, transfer dough pieces to prepared baking sheet, forming flat irregular oval shapes and spacing at least 2 1/2-inches apart.
- Drizzle tops with olive oil and allow dough to rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled, about 20 minutes (longer, if needed).
- Position rack in upper third of oven just below highest position and preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Press fingertips into dough in several places to dimple surface (characteristic of this bread).
- Bake until tops are dry (if using Sourdough Enhancer, loaves will remain pale after baking).
- Transfer ciabattas to rack and cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Mix all ingredients and store in tightly closed glass jar.
- Add to breadmaker in amount EQUAL to yeast with other dry ingredients.
- The ginger makes the yeast act more swiftly, the ascorbic acid strengthens the gluten, and the lecithin aids the oil in causing the strands of gluten to slip against each other more easily and thus rise better.