Recipe by HeatherFeather
Elegant dinner for special occasions. One reviewer suggested adding 1 tsp flaked almonds along with the chutney, which I think is a great idea. I am adding that as an optional ingredient.
Top Review by Judikins
A very similar version of this recipe was served by our daughter's mother-in-law a few years ago. It was absolutely delicious! I found this one, and just recently found out the only major differences are that her's included 1 tsp. chopped almonds with 1 Tbsp. chutney per breast, and baked hers at 425 degrees F for 15-18 minutes. She did not brown the breasts first, but simply dipped the rolls in the rum mixture then in the crumb mixture followed by placing them in a Pyrex dish and drizzling the remaining rum mixture over the top. I think I'll try making some both ways (2 with parmesan cheese and 2 with almonds). This is a very impressive dish to serve if entertaining; it goes well with wild and long grain rice or even forbidden rice. Yum, Yum!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded thin
- 4 teaspoons chutney (such as Major Grey's)
- 4 teaspoons sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 cup white rum
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 3 -4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or less if using nonstick pan) or 3 -4 tablespoons margarine (or less if using nonstick pan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place 1 tsp chutney in the center of each pounded chicken breast and roll up, folding in the edges as you roll, pinching edges closed.
- Place rum in a bowl; in another bowl combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip each chicken roll first into the rum, then into the crumb mixture to coat.
- Melt butter in a skillet and saute chicken rolls in the butter just to brown lightly, but not cook all the way (if you have a nonstick pan, you may need less butter).
- Place browned rolls into a greased baking dish and drizzle with any of the remaining rum around the edges.
- Seal tightly with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove foil and cook another 5 minutes to brown top.