Recipe by NELady
From Foods with a Foreign Flavor textbook. Posted for ZWT '09.
Top Review by Jamilahs_Kitchen
This was a fun recipe I finally got to use my little pamperd chef tool for something. These really do puff up and I wasn't able to lay them down into the oil length wise but I used a small pot. Super fun to make and not a bad little doughnut. I'm from cali so I've taste alot of churros but I just felt these were missing a little something extra in the taste area. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT 5.
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, combine butter and water. Bring to a boil; add salt and remove from heat.
- Add flour all at once; beat with wooden spoon.
- Return to heat; beat with wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Beat in an egg at a time. Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture is satiny.
- Press mixture through fluted tip pastry bag or cookie press, 1/2-inch wide opening. With wet scissors, cut into 2-inch strips as it drops in fat heated to 350*F. Fry for 2 minutes on each side. Do a few at a time.
- Drain; roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.