Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
From 750 Best Muffin Recipes. Based on Spain's deep-fried doughnuts, these muffins are outrageously good, without getting out the fryers! Rolling the light muffins in butter and cinnamon sugar while they are still warm gives them the taste of being fried. They taste exactly like the real thing! Note: DO NOT use all-purpose flour! And while the batter may not taste like you expect, trust me; the muffins will turn out wonderful!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease 3 6-cup muffin pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat shortening and 1 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended and pale yellow.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with milk, making three additions of flour and two of milk, until just blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23 to 26 minutes or until tops are golden. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
- Pour butter into a small bowl. In another small bowl, combine cinnamon and the remaining sugar. Roll warm muffins in butter, then in sugar mixture to coat. Return to rack and let cool.
Stumbled upon this when trying to use up some cake flour. I made them for an office breakfast, and I don't think they're going to make it there. They are the best muffins I have ever had. My daughter agrees. Thank you for a fantastic recipe.